Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Week 2 of 2014 - First Grade

September, 1957, meant first grade in Mrs. Parsons room at Croswell Elementary School.  It was the last room on the right in the east end of the school.  Mrs. Parsons lived in the big red house at the Country Store location, now called Frontier Village in Romeo, Michigan.  The house is still there and I remember wanting to see the inside of it...she was such a cool teacher!  She was a small lady, with glasses that slipped down on her nose and always wore her hair in a bun.  She was very nice and I think the only trouble I got into was for talking...too much talking.  I really felt endeared to her after an incident in the bathroom.  I had on my first skirt with straps...a pink skirt...that I'd wear with a white blouse.  It was an outfit that just made you feel special!  Mrs. Parsons and Mrs. Engel's first grade rooms shared a bathroom that was located between them.  I used the bathroom, but got the skirt off (instead of pulling it up) and couldn't get dressed again...the straps were tangled and I started to panic.  About that time, Mrs. Parsons knocked on the door and asked if I was okay.  She quickly got me put back together, dried my tears and sent me back to my desk. Funny what one remembers...I loved going to school all day, hot lunch and showing off my papers once I got home.  Susie and Jan gathered around and were very impressed with whatever I brought home. Mrs. Parsons got me off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment