Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Week 29 of 2012 - Wedding Days...


Wedding days are different for everyone. They range from simple to lavish affairs, large social events to a Justice of the Peace and a bride and a groom. Each is unique in it's own way. They are personally interpreted by the bride and groom with or without the input from other family members. There is one thing that is common to them all; two people who love each other.

Personally, I never really understood the fancy wedding event myself. All the planning, what to wear, what color shoes, what flowers to have, what jewelry.... I was never really a girlie girl! I like to look nice but don't love clothes, shoes, makeup and getting all gussied up. Give me a pair of comfortable jeans and my favorite Tee shirt and I am happy! Oprah...I hear ya...it just isn't me! That is probably why I ended up picking the career choice that I did. Who ever heard of a woman who fixed computer especially in 1980 anyway!

So, having said all that, I had small events. My first marriage, when I was 16 years old, was to my high school sweetheart. My Grandfather, Rev. Everett Smith, married us in a ceremony at our church. It was lovely and simple. We had a luncheon in the fellowship with cake and in a couple of quiet hours it was done. That was May 28th 1972.

Nineteen years later, we were divorced. I was a single mother for 6 years before I married my second time. My second marriage was also a simple event. Most of the guest thought they had been invited to a pig roast in our back yard. The wedding ceremony itself was held under a tent in our backyard with our families present at 2 PM before the other guests arrived.
Greg's friend Jeff,  Greg, Jan and sister Sue - August 9, 1997

A pig roast reception August 1997

















 






The pig roast was scheduled for 4 PM. It was a really nice party. We had a 200 pound pig which roasted in a cooker in the side yard for 8 hours. Everyone was encouraged to bring a dish to share. Each time a spot opened up on the table someone would arrive with a new dish.  We had plenty of food. We provided drinks, 14 dozen ears of corn and the pig. We had 8 pounds of pork left from a 200 pound pig.
Our campfire at the end of the evening with the party in the background.

I am realizing, as I age, that I am a not exactly comfortable being the center of attention. Which is an unlikely Leo trait! I am not sure why I feel this way but I do. I would much rather help to make someone else the center of attention. It could be because I am a middle child in a family of 6 kids...there is not much attention in the middle of a group. The oldest seems to get it and the youngest. I don't mean that as bad thing but just a fact. For most women, their wedding day is the biggest and most important day of their lives. Many woman bask in the attention of it. It was not something that I thought or dreamed much about. So my weddings, fit my personality to a tee!

No comments:

Post a Comment